Leading Business for a Strong 2020 Census
ReadyNation is an official partner of the California Complete Count Census 2020 Office and will focus on engaging California’s business sector in the decennial count. As a business membership organization, ReadyNation leverages the experience, influence, and expertise of over 2,400 business leaders nationally and 160 in California to promote public policies and programs that build a stronger workforce and economy.
We understand the important role business and its leaders play as trusted community messengers, and having businesses engage with the 2020 Census will encourage hard-to-count segments of the population, like young children, rural households, and minority residents to participate. Businesses with employees, stores, and offices in regions where hard-to-count populations live are especially valuable in helping to ensure a complete count. Join us as we help make certain that all Californians participate in the Census 2020 and get their appropriate share of federal resources.
Census Business Resources
As trusted leaders across the state, California’s businesses can help achieve a strong 2020 Census by encouraging their employees and/or customers to complete their census questionnaires between March and May 2020. Below are several resources that can help you get started, but sign up for our California Census Business Network to receive the most up to date resources that we are launching:
- Census Toolkit for Business Owners in California
- Census Toolkit for Small and Micro Business Owners in California
- 2020 Census Business Toolkit in Light of Covid-19
- Ready-to-Post Census 2020 Social Media Graphics
- Census Flyer for Your Breakroom or Storefront
- LA County Census Toolkit for Business Owners
- Business Counts: How Business Can Contribute to an Accurate 2020 Census
- Executive Summary of Business Counts (Handout)
- View national census resources for specific communities
- Be Counted Business in Action for the 2020 Census Video Series
- List of Companies Publicly Supporting the 2020 Census
- Small flyers to include with takeout bags, product shipments, or groceries
Important dates for the Census
NOTE: We recognize that many companies are in a period of crisis. The Census Bureau has delayed/extended some operations by two weeks but is still moving forward due to their statutory obligation to provide the President with apportionment counts by Dec. 31.
MARCH 12-20: Invitations to complete 2020 Census questionnaire online will be mailed
MARCH 16-24: Reminder letters will be mailed
MARCH 26-APRIL 3: A reminder postcard will be mailed
APRIL 1: CENSUS DAY!
August 11, 2020: For those who have not yet responded, census takers will begin visiting the homes of those who have not self-responded.
October 15, 2020: Final day to complete a census questionnaire and end of door knocking operations.
Why the Census Matters to Business
California’s data-driven economy relies on timely information about the U.S. population and how it shifts and changes throughout the country. The decennial census provides the broadest set of data about residents in the United States that no other body produces.
Driving Successful Businesses: Census data is critical for helping companies determine where to open a new store, where quality employees are located, and what services and products to offer. Without census information, businesses would be left guessing.
Investing in a Strong Economy: Census data is used to effectively allocate roughly $800 billion in federal resources that help to strengthen the economy, including resources directed toward education, workforce development, transportation, and housing.
Strengthening the Business Voice: An undercount in California means the state could lose a seat in Congress, leading to fewer voices to protect California business in Washington.
Upcoming and Past Events
Check back for upcoming webinars about how business can support the 2020 Census.
- Webinar Recording: Engaging Business for the 2020 Census - A webinar providing a basic introduction to engaging business for the 2020 Census
- Webinar Recording: The Intersection of the 2020 Census and Corporate Social Investments Webinar: Access to Capital and Vital Data: Grow Your Business and Ensure Your Local Community Thrives. This webinar presents on the current small business funding landscape for small businesses and entrepreneurs and how businesses can help get a strong 2020 Census count.