Why the Census Matters to Business
We understand the important role business and its leaders play as trusted community messengers, and having businesses engage with the 2020 Census will encourage hard-to-count segments of the population, like young children, rural households, and minority residents to participate. Businesses with employees, stores, and offices in regions where hard-to-count populations live are especially valuable in helping to ensure a complete count. Join us as we help make certain that all Coloradans participate in the Census 2020 and get their appropriate share of federal resources.
Colorado’s data-driven economy relies on timely information about the U.S. population and how it shifts and changes throughout the country. The decennial census provides the broadest set of data about residents in the United States that no other body produces.
- Driving Successful Businesses: Census data is critical for helping companies determine where to open a new store, where quality employees are located, and what services and products to offer. Without census information, businesses would be left guessing.
- Investing in a Strong Economy: Census data is used to effectively allocate roughly $800 billion in federal resources that help to strengthen the economy, including resources directed toward education, workforce development, transportation, and housing.
- Strengthening the Business Voice: An undercount in Colorado could affect our ability to gain a seat in Congress, leading to fewer voices to protect Colorado businesses in Washington, DC.
Important dates for the Census
MARCH 12-20: Invitations to complete 2020 Census questionnaire online will be mailed
MARCH 16-24: Reminder letters will be mailed
MARCH 26-APRIL 3: A reminder postcard will be mailed
APRIL 1: CENSUS DAY!
APRIL 8-16: Another reminder and a hard copy questionnaire will be mailed
APRIL 20-27: Final postcards will be mailed before an in-person follow-up
MAY 27: Door-to-door enumeration begins
AUGUST 14: Door-to-door enumeration ends
Census Business Resources
As trusted leaders across the state, Colorado’s businesses can help achieve a strong 2020 Census by encouraging their employees and/or customers to complete their census questionnaires between March and May 2020. Below are several resources that can help you get started:
- Census Toolkit for Business Owners in Colorado
- Business Counts: How Business Can Contribute to an Accurate 2020 Census - Executive Summary of Business Counts (Handout)
- View national census resources for specific communities
- DOLA FAQs on Census 2020
- 2020 Census Kit from Sesame Workshop