- Fight Crime: Invest in Kids
- Mission: Readiness
- Champions for America's Future
- Shepherding the Next Generation
Statement from Barry Ford on the Proposed American Families Plan
Council for a Strong America President and CEO, Barry Ford, responds to the new American Families Plan proposal
WASHINGTON, DC — Council for a Strong America President and CEO, Barry Ford, made the following statement today on the new American Families Plan proposal.
“Today the Biden Administration released its American Families Plan proposal. This proposal is historic in its size and scope, but it is consistent with our belief that the strength of our country is inextricably tied to the strength of our children and families. For decades, Council for a Strong America has advocated for investments in many of the priorities put forth today, because the research shows us that they strengthen our economy, our national security, and our public safety.
This proposal calls for major investments in programs and supports for our children and families, including:
- Child Care: We know that the strength of our workforce is tied to the availability of quality, affordable child care, and this investment seeks to address our nation’s long-standing child care crisis—a crisis that has been exacerbated by the pandemic.
- Pre-K: Equitable school readiness for all kids is critical for lifelong learning and success, and new investments could provide more 3- and 4-year-olds with access to critical pre-kindergarten programs.
- Child Poverty: Extension of an expanded Child Tax Credit would provide support to working families and raise a significant number of children out of poverty.
- Food Security: The health of infants, children, and youth requires consistent access to fresh and nutritious food. With food insecurity rates soaring during the pandemic, the investments in this proposal would provide critical access to nutritious food for children and families.
- College Access and Completion: Increasing access and removing financial barriers to a high-quality post-secondary credential from a 2 or 4-year institution will provide many students with the opportunity and skills to succeed in the 21st-century workforce.
Building a stronger and more resilient economy as we emerge from the pandemic requires that we focus on these crucial priorities. The foundations for these programs have deep bipartisan support, and we look forward to building on that momentum. Council for a Strong America’s member organizations urge Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle to craft legislation to secure the critical investments needed for our children’s futures and our nation’s strength. In order to equitably address the needs of our nation’s children and families, we must work together to rebuild and reimagine systems that will forge a stronger future. Creating that future begins with helping kids grow up healthy, educated, and prepared for success.”
Council for a Strong America is a bipartisan policy organization that engages law enforcement, military, business, faith and sports leaders to promote evidence-based policies and programs that enable kids to be healthy, well-educated and prepared for productive lives.
Read More About